(New Haven, CT - Middletown - Willimantic - Putnam - Blackstone, MA)
Shoreliner® Article Index
- Volume 4 Issue 3 (Summer) 1973
- "N.Y. & N.E. - Part 1" -- A brief history of the New York & New England, including its predecessor lines. 4 pages with photos.
- Volume 4 Issue 4 (Fall) 1973
- "N.Y. & N.E. - Part 2" -- A brief history of the New York & New England, including its predecessor lines. 1-1/2 pages with photos.
- Volume 13 Issue 3 1982
- "The Charles River Line" -- The history of the Newton, MA - Woonsocket, RI rail line and connections. Includes a timeline chart of ownership for the lines extending between Brookline, MA - Medfield Junction - Woonsocket, RI - Harrisville - Douglas Junction, MA - Putnam, CT - Willimantic - Middletown - New Haven. 12 pages with photos and maps.
- Volume 14 Issue 2 1983
- Front cover photo of a meet at the Hampton, CT, siding on September 4, 1954..
- Volume 15 Issue 4 1984
- Inside cover photo of an R-1 covered in snow at Willimantic, CT, after it had cleared the line between Providence and Willimantic, circa 1946. 1/2 page.
- Volume 21 Issue 4 1990
- "Another Way to Boston -- The New York & New England in Northern Rhode Island -- Part 2" -- The history of the New York & New England Railroad and its predecessor lines in Rhode Island and nearby portions of Massachusetts and Connecticut. The article is focused on the Pascoag branch. 8 pages with photos and timetable.
- Volume 22 Issue 1 1991
- "Clear Block Camp -- Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaugg" -- The story of how an old New Haven combine bacame a summer camp along the old Webster branch. The car was moved from Readville via Blackstone, MA and East Thompson, CT. 1-1/2 pages with photo.
- "Another Way to Boston -- The New York & New England in Northern Rhode Island -- Conclusion" -- The history of the New York & New England Railroad and its predecessor lines in Rhode Island and nearby portions of Massachusetts and Connecticut. The article is focused on the Pascoag line, but the Douglas Junction - East Thompson - Webster area is discussed. 16 pages with photos, map and timetables.
- Volume 22 Issue 2 1991
- Inside front cover photo of J-1 #3022 with a westbound freight between the Lyman and Rapello viaducts on the Air Line in April 1948.
- Volume 22 Issue 4 1991
- "Swill Cars" -- Memories by Fran Donovan of the brief operation of garbage trains from Boston to the state farm in Pomfret, CT. 1/3 page.
- Volume 23 Issue 1 1992
- "Bridge Street, Willimantic -- Summer of '54" -- Memories of Willimantic in the mid-1950s by T.J. Donohue. 4 pages, including color centerspread of DL-109 0727 at Bridge Street in the summer of 1954.
- "Whistle Artist" -- John Wallace remembers engineers' artistry with the whistle around Middletown, CT, and a chance comparison between a K-1 mogul on a Valley local and an R-1 on an Air line local. 4 pages with photos.
- Volume 24 Issue 3 1993
- "What is So Rare as a Day in June" -- Memories of the June 19, 1949, New York Division, Railroad Enthusiasts excursion which ran from New York to New Haven, Middletown, Willimantic, Hartford, Waterbury, Bridgeport and back to New York. 3 pages with photos, including a color photo on the Lyman Viaduct fill.
- Volume 28 Issue 1 1997
- "Putnam -- Part 1" -- The history of the railroads in and around Putnam, CT. 26 pages, with timetables, map and photos, including covers and color centerspread.
- "The Putnam Track Pan Debate" -- Short article recounting the question if the first railroad track pans were installed by the New York & New England at Putnam, CT. 2/3 page with photo.
- Volume 28 Issue 2 1997
- "Putnam -- Part 2" -- The history of the railroads in and around Putnam, CT. 32 pages, with timetables, maps and photos, including covers and color centerspread.
- "Putnam and Fan Trips" -- Reviews fan trips run in 1952, '53 and '54 via Putnam. 1 page with photos.
- Volume 31 Issue 1
- "Some Signals on the New Haven" -- A review of the various signal types used on the New Haven, as told in photos taken by T.J. Donahue. Includes a photo of the unusual signal used at Bridge Street in Willimantic. 9 pages.
- Volume 33 Issue 3
- "Return to Agent -- NY,NH&H RR Co. Putnam, Conn." -- Brief article on freight operations around Putnam, CT in the late 1960s and early 1970s, including Wyckoff Steel, Inc.. 2/3 page.
- Volume 35 Issue 2
- "Toward Steam's Last Bow" -- Tom Curtin tells the story of the Railroad Enthusiasts' round trip steam excurion from Boston's South Station April 27, 1952, with I-4s #1372 and #1388. The two special trains operated South Station - Blackstone - Putnam, CT - Willimantic - Middletown - Cedar Hill - Groton - Plainfield - Providence - South Station. 23 pages with photos and map.
- "Recollections of 27 April 1952, Sunday" -- Harry Chase recalls riding the April 27, 1952 RRE steam excursion. 4 pages with photos.
- "Working at S.S. 227 Putnam" -- Edward Deluca discusses several New Haven railroaders who worked at S.S. 227, Putnam, CT, from the 1950s onward. 8 pages with photos.
- Volume 38 Issue 4
- "Blackstone -- BE: Where the Midland Met the P&W" -- Richard K. Hurst provides a detailed history of the railroad and its operations in and around Blackstone, MA. 30 pages with photos, many in color, and maps.
- "Providence - Worcester Local Passenger Service" -- A summary of local passenger operations on the P&W route via Blackstone through 1956, when service ended. The article makes particular note of the use of Mack FCD railbuses during the last years of operation. 4 pages with photos, including one color.
New Haven Mechanical Department Facilities Maps -- Revised Edition
Cedar Hill Terminal (maps and photos, including one panoramic view and 2 1954 aerial photos). 6 pages.
Blackstone, MA (1941 map). 1 page.