Boston, MA Area
(including South Station - South Bay - South Boston - Readville)
Shoreliner® Article Index
- Volume 20 Issue 3 1989
- "South Station: Its Construction, Architecture and History" -- Comprehensive article telling the story of Boston's South Station. 25 pages with photos, including color cover and centerspread, mapr and diagram.
- "South Station: Its Rulebooks, Employees and Signals" -- Discussion of the rules to operate within the Boston Terminal district. 4 pages with photos and diagrams.
- Volume 20 Issue 4 1989
- "South Station: Its Trains -- 1904 - 1969" -- Discussion of the trains, both famous and not-so-famous, that originated and terminated at Boston's South Station during the New Haven years. 12 pages with photos and timetables.
- Volume 21 Issue 1 1990
- "The View from Broadway Bridge" -- Photo essay of changing scenes on the South Station curve and the Old Colony Fort Point Channel bridge. 6 pages.
- Volume 21 Issue 4 1990
- "Transit Stop: An Alternate Plan" -- The story of the proposed elevated railway/subway transit loop to connect South and North stations, and the short-lived Atlantic Avenue elevated line. 6 pages with photos and map.
- Volume 22 Issue 1 1991
- "South Station -- An Insider's View" -- Discussion of the reasoning behind the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority's track layout design decisions at the newly rebuilt South Station. 3 pages with photos.
- Volume 24 Issue 4 1993
- Inside cover photos trackside at South Station in the early 1950s.
- Volume 28 Issue 2 1997
- "High Tech Stuff" -- Describes the use of the Telautograph to announce trains at South Station. 1 page.
- Volume 35 Issue 2
- "Toward Steam's Last Bow" -- Tom Curtin tells the story of the Railroad Enthusiasts' round trip steam excurion from Boston's South Station April 27, 1952, with I-4s #1372 and #1388. The two special trains operated South Station - Blackstone - Putnam, CT - Willimantic - Middletown - Cedar Hill - Groton - Plainfield - Providence - South Station. 23 pages with photos and map. Includes many photos at South Station.
- "Recollections of 27 April 1952, Sunday" -- Harry Chase recalls riding the April 27, 1952 RRE steam excursion. 4 pages with photos.
New Haven Mechanical Department Facilities Maps -- Revised Edition
Readville shops (photos, including aerial and panoramic, and maps). 4 pages.
South Boston Freight Terminal/Waterfront and A Street (maps). 2 pages.
South Boston passenger yards and engine terminal/South Bay - Southampton Street - Dover Street (maps). 3 pages.
South Station tracks (aerial photo). 1 page.