(Devon, CT - Waterbury - Winsted)
Shoreliner® Article Index
- Volume 10 Issue 2 (Spring) 1979
- "Trolley Stop: The Torrington Division" -- A short history the Connecticut Company lines in and around Torrington, CT. 16 pages with photos, map and roster.
- Volume 11 Issue 2 1980
- "The Naugatuck Railroad 1849 - 1949 -- Part 1" -- The history of this rail line which ran from Devon Junction via Derby and Waterbury to Winsted, CT. 15 pages with photos and map.
- "The Watertown and Waterbury Railroad" -- The history of this branch line which connected with the Naugatuck line. 5 pages with photos.
- Volume 11 Issue 3 1980
- "'Naugy' Operations Recalled -- Part 1I" -- Recalling Naugatuck line operations in the 1930s and '40s. 3 pages with photos.
- "Conductor C.W. Munson -- Last of the 'Naugy' Old Timers" -- Reviews the career of Charles W. Munson, who started on the Naugatuck in 1882 and retired from the New Haven in 1941. 1 page with photo.
- "Operations on the Naugatuck" -- James O. Ring recalls operations from the 1920s to the 1960s. 4 pages with photos.
- "The 1955 Floods" -- Discusses the extensive damage to the Naugatuck line during the flooding of 18 - 19 August 1955. 2 pages with photos.
- "'Naugy' Operations in the 1960s" -- as recalled by Tom Nelligan. 2 pages with photos.
- Volume 13 Issue 3 1982
- "Trolley Stop: The Van DePoele Electric Locomotive and the Derby Horse Railway" -- The story of one of Connecticut's early electric trolley lines. 5 pages with photos.
- Volume 14 Issue 2 1983
- "Trolley Stop: Mike and Ike" -- The history of the Connecticut Company's two unusual Baldwin-Westinghouse steeple cab electric locomotives, #1053 and #1054, which worked in the Waterbury area. 2 pages with photos.
- Volume 15 Issue 3 1984
- Rear cover photo of F-5 #164 westbound with freight between Winsted and Torrington in April of 1948.
- Volume 16 Issue 2 1985
- "Trolley Stop: Waterbury -- Part 2" -- Discusses the history of trolley service in Waterbury, CT, and the Derby route to New Haven. 6 pages with photos, maps and timetable.
- Volume 17 Issue 4 1986
- Front cover photo of a Bridgeport to Waterbury passenger train arriving at S.S. 202 Bank Street with nearly new RS-1 666 in 1948.
- Inside cover photo of I-2 1327 with trains 157, Hartford - Waterbury - Bridgeport, at Waterbury, circa 1939.
- "Trolley Stop: Bridgeport to New Haven via Derby" -- Describes Connecticut Company service between the three communities. 10 pages with photos, maps and timetables.
- Volume 18 Issue 3 1987
- "Trolley Stop: Trolley Express and Freight Service in Southern New England -- Part I" -- The history of trolley freight and express handled in Connecticut. 8 pages with photo, timetable and map.
- Volume 21 Issue 4 1990
- "More Than Meets the Eye" -- The story behind a photo showing A-1-a #1284 with Train #456, Bridgeport to Waterbury, as it passed through Platt's Mill in 1939. 1 page.
- Volume 22 Issue 2 1991
- "Bank Street Jct., Waterbury 2nd Trick -- A Fond Remembrance" -- T.J. Donanue's memories of working at the Bank Street Junction tower in Waterbury, CT. 24 pages with photos (some color), maps and drawings. Includes some photos on the Naugatuck line.
- Volume 32 Issue 4
- "Tom's Towers" -- A review of the various towers in which T.J. Donahue operated during the 1940s, '50s and '60s, including Waterbury, CT. 12 pages with color photos.
- Volume 33 Issue 3
- "The Best Laid Plans" -- The story of the New Haven's 62000-62014 series 70-ton covered gondola cars, ordered by the New Haven in the late 1950s to retain and recapture the brass trade in the Waterbury and New Milford, CT, areas. 6 pages with diagram and photos.
- Volume 36 Issue 3
- "Diesels on the Naugatuck Line" -- Casey Cavanaugh presents the story of the new Haven's dieselization of the Naugatuck line. 20 pages with map and photos, mostly color.
- Volume 40 Issue 2
- "Confessions of a Diesel Fireman on the Old New Haven" -- Jack W. Swanberg recalls his years in the 1960s as a New Haven fireman on the Western roster, including some time on the line to Waterbury line. 18 pages with many photos, most in color.
New Haven Mechanical Department Facilities Maps -- Revised Edition
Derby and Ansonia, CT (1940 map). 1 page.
Waterbury, CT (1956 map). 1 page.